"New-Method" No. 11
We introduce the email bulletin "New-Method" No. 11 with our works and
guest contributions. This issue features Oyama Enrico Isamu
Letter, an artist and critic for the contributor.
Meta-cognition and Literacy
Oyama Enrico Isamu Letter (Artist)
It is difficult to write a 200 word essay. As it is too short to
say anything if casually approached, I will write on the 200 word
limitation itself, thus adopting meta-cognition, which however is
almost coercive so that anything like meta-cognition has not
worked. Besides, a meta position always entails its meta, whose
dynamism will capture a line "anything like meta-cognition has not
worked" into the meta-spiral. It is fairly hard to break this
spiral. Yet, looking at Twitter for instance, information
architecture seems to have canceled out the spiral. Once
accustomed to the 140 letters limitation, one no longer feels it short,
and the initial meta-cognition gradually withers away to the
background. Assume that meta-ognition is originally to lure
invisible conditions that define a cognition to the foreground,
Twitter, in contrast, the invisualizing comes rather later. Then,
what would happen? In present cultural situations, not limited to
information, cognition concerning literacy has become more significant
possibly instead of meta-cognition. It is required to cross-over
gaps among plural cognitions, rather than to trace a single cognition
back to its basic conditions. Although unable to fully describe
here, such a transition will be a remarkable point to reflect upon
(Note: We "New-Method" offer guest contributions for the bulletin normally in 200 words.)
[Web Works of the New-Methodicists]
- Takahiro Hirama
The word "untitled" is the generic title for untitled works.
Generally, the title is the result of a conscious choice by the artist.
- Shogo Baba
Ascending Order Sort No. 3 "Comb Sort"
"Ascending Order Sort" is a method. A method itself does not
vary. Essentially, "Ascending Order Sort" itself is a work
without its embodiment. When a method is embodied, it is for
- Hideki Nakazawa
Source and Execution No. 59 - 65
Assume that three webpages are given. Assume that each webpage
has a link to either of the two other pages, or has links to
both. These three pages have seven possible combinations.
You are given the chance of patroling the three pages unwillingly,
falling into toggle between two pages, having no other choice than to
go back the same way, or appreciating freedom of choosing either of the
other webpages at all times.
- "New-Method Night Vol. 1" Aug. 27, 2011, 20202, Tokyo. http://www.shinrin20202.jp/
- "Sea Bathing" http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/sea_e.html
- [AKA-070] New-Method - Monetary Donation (Extended Mix) http://www.jarchive.org/akami/
- "New-Method" official webpage has been updated. http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/
- Takahiro Hirama has updated his website. http://hrmtkhr.web.fc2.com/
- Shogo Baba has updated his website. http://7x7whitebell.net/
- Hideki Nakazawa has updated his website. http://aloalo.co.jp/nakazawa/
- If you would like to receive the email bulletin "New-Method," please let us know.
- This bulletin is free to redistribute while all rights are reserved.
- This bulletin will sometimes be sort into the spam folder. Please be reminded.
Now I guess the word "No Work" by Takahiro Hirama has been familiar to
readers of this bulletin, and his "No Work Work Show" will be held at
20202 from Aug. 8th to Sep. 3rd. I hope you'd come to the
exhibition. info http://www.shinrin20202.jp/ (Kaido)
Takahiro Hirama @qwertyu1357
Shogo Baba @shogobaba
Hideki Nakazawa @nakaZAWAHIDEKI
Masaru Kaido @kaido1900
Bulletin "New-Method" No. 11 English Version
Published on Aug. 4, 2011